makers space experience
Keshet Makers Space Experience
The Keshet Makers Space Experience (MSE) is a format in which choreographers/dancemakers have access to space to develop their craft and their products, at whatever stage that might be – newly germinating ideas, final development of full productions, and/or anything in between – assisting in the process of bringing art to market.
Keshet provides physical space for the “making” at the Keshet Center for the Arts in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The Keshet Center for the Arts has 5 studios and a 230-seat black box theater within which visiting artists can use the space in exchange for providing a few master classes during their time at Keshet. These master classes are open to the community, and when Makers are visiting during a designated cohort period, the classes are also intended for Makers Space participants to learn from and about each other.
The 2018 Makers Space Experience includes two cohort periods held in the early months of 2018. Through a competitive application process, Keshet selected 10 makers. CLICK here to read the press release announcing the 2018 Cohort Makers.
2018 Makers Space Experience is made possible with support from The Mayor’s Prize for Entrepreneurship – the Honorable Mayor Richard J. Berry, the Albuquerque Community Foundation, the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, Hampton Inn – University Midtown and an Economic Development Award from the New Mexico Gas Co. Inc. – an Emera Company.
Cohort 1: Jan. 26 – Feb. 4, 2018
Cohort 2: Feb. 22 – March 4, 2018
If you or someone you know might benefit from this type of space and experience and would like to come hang in New Mexico, applications for 2019 will be available Fall 2018
Makers Space Experience Master Class SCHEDULE
2018 Maker Space Experience Master Classes Schedule
Cohort 2: Feb. 22 – March 4, 2018
- Anat Shinar (Minneapolis, MN);
- Marissa Brown (Brooklyn, NY);
- Amal Rogers (Minneapolis, MN);
- Taylor Mitchell (Chicago, IL); and
- Tanya Winters (Austin, TX)
Friday, February 23rd:
Saturday, February 24th:
(Monica Fischer Straub/ Bern, Switzerland)
Sunday, February 25th:
12:00-1:30pm Composing/Decomposing: Improvisational Tools for Deconstructing Technique
(Anat Shinar/Minneapolis, MN)
Monday, February 26th:
12:00-1:30pm Connecting through Improvisation and Phrase Work
(Marissa Brown/Brooklyn, NY)
Tuesday, February 27th:
12:00-1:30pm Radical Embodiment: Improvisation
(Amal Rogers/Minneapolis, MN)
Wednesday February 28th:
11:30am-1:00pm Movement/Clown Perspective
(Taylor Mitchell/Chicago, IL)
Thursday, March 1st:
(Tanya Winters/Austin, TX)
Friday, March 2nd:
Come move with us!
HOW MUCH? $15 drop-in rate for all 90-minute classes,or use your Keshet Class Card!
**$80 for the Spiraldynamik® Workshop
Friday, February 23rd: **8:30am-4:00 pm
The Eight Dimensions of Sustainable Business Design
KaosPIlots (Bern, Switzerland) with movement & lunch break in the middle
Monday, February 26th: 4:30-6:00 pm
Business Planning, Budgeting, and Funding – Part 1
6:00-7:00 pm MAKERS MIXER! ALL ARE WELCOME!
Tuesday, February 27th: 4:30-6:00 pm
Business Planning, Budgeting, and Funding – Part 2
Wednesday, February 28th: 4:30-6:00 pm
Business Planning, Budgeting, and Funding – Part 3
Thursday, March 1st: 4:30-6:00 pm
Business Planning, Budgeting, and Funding – Part 4
Join us for our Business Workshops Series
HOW MUCH? FREE for KIIC Members!
Not a member but want to be one? Contact Ana@KeshetArts.org
Non-KIIC-Member Business Workshop Fees:
**$80 for the KaosPilots workshop (lunch not provided); $100 for all four 90-minute classes (Mon-Thurs)
$30/individual class drop-in rate (Mon-Thurs)
Applying for Makers Space Experience
Check back for the 2019 Application – available Fall 2018
The 2018 Makers Space Experience includes the following:
- Studio space rotating through studios (various sizes) during the following hours (providing 30-60 hours of Makers time available during the residency, depending on what other optional activities each Maker would iike to incorporate into their experience):
- M-F 8:30am-3:30pm / Sat 1:30pm-8:30pm / Sun 10:00am-8:00pm
- One room at the Hampton Inn University-Midtown (located next door to Keshet), includes daily breakfast
- Cohort One: check in Fri, Jan 26, 2018; check out Mon, Feb 5, 2018
- Cohort Two: check in Thurs, Feb 22, 2018; check out Sun, Mar 4, 2018
- Access to daily master classes provided by your peer makers and Keshet faculty (optional)
- Access to all daily community classes occurring at Keshet during the cohort period (optional)
- Access to all Arts Business Workshops provided during the cohort period (exact content to be determined by surveys/feedback gathered by selected makers to assess desired areas of learning).
- Cohort One: Participation in the Keshet Choreographers’ Showcase, Feb 3 and 4 (optional); which would include 2 hours of tech time working with Keshet’s resident lighting designer/technical director.
- Cohorts One & Two: 2 tickets for each Maker for any Keshet performances during cohort period (can be used for self or guests if Maker is performing)
The 2018 Makers Space Experience does NOT include the following:
- Travel to/from Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Ground transportation within Albuquerque, New Mexico during your cohort period
- Computer resources for sound/music editing, checking emails, etc.
- Financial compensation for your time/activities during your MSE cohort period.
For more information contact Ana Lopes Arechiga, ana@KeshetArts.org 505-224-9808.
Ongoing Makers Space
Ongoing Makers Space
Dancer and choreographers may rent studio space to work on projects anytime – as space allows. LEARN MORE about Rent the Space