makers space experience
Keshet Makers Space Experience
The Keshet Makers Space Experience (MSE) is a format in which choreographers/dancemakers have access to space to develop their craft and their products, at whatever stage that might be – newly germinating ideas, final development of full productions, and/or anything in between – assisting in the process of bringing art to market.
Keshet provides physical space for the “making” at the Keshet Center for the Arts in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The Keshet Center for the Arts has 5 studios and a 220-seat black box theater within which visiting artists can use the space in exchange for providing a few master classes during their time at Keshet. These master classes are open to the community, and when Makers are visiting during a designated cohort period, the classes are also intended for Makers Space participants to learn from and about each other.
The upcoming 2018 Makers Space Experience includes two cohort periods held in the early months of 2018. Keshet will select 5 Makers for each of the 10-day residency periods at the Keshet Center for the Arts. Applicants/Makers can be individual artists (or an applicant team of 2 artists who don’t mind sharing a hotel room together and rehearsing in the same studio together). During the cohort period, the Keshet MSE provides access to space, access to classes, lots of sunshine and oodles of love. So if you or someone you know might benefit from this type of space and experience and would like to come hang in New Mexico, applications are open Oct 2-Nov 20, 2017.
The 2018 Makers Space Experience includes the following:
- Studio space rotating through studios (various sizes) during the following hours (providing 30-60 hours of Makers time available during the residency, depending on what other optional activities each Maker would iike to incorporate into their experience):
- M-F 8:30am-3:30pm / Sat 1:30pm-8:30pm / Sun 10:00am-8:00pm
- One room at the Hampton Inn University-Midtown (located next door to Keshet), includes daily breakfast
- Cohort One: check in Fri, Jan 26, 2018; check out Mon, Feb 5, 2018
- Cohort Two: check in Thurs, Feb 22, 2018; check out Sun, Mar 4, 2018
- Access to daily master classes provided by your peer makers and Keshet faculty (optional)
- Access to all daily community classes occurring at Keshet during the cohort period (optional)
- Access to all Arts Business Workshops provided during the cohort period (exact content to be determined by surveys/feedback gathered by selected makers to assess desired areas of learning).
- Cohort One: Participation in the Keshet Choreographers’ Showcase, Feb 3 and 4 (optional); which would include 2 hours of tech time working with Keshet’s resident lighting designer/technical director.
- Cohorts One & Two: 2 tickets for each Maker for any Keshet performances during cohort period (can be used for self or guests if Maker is performing)
The 2018 Makers Space Experience does NOT include the following:
- Travel to/from Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Ground transportation within Albuquerque, New Mexico during your cohort period
- Computer resources for sound/music editing, checking emails, etc.
- Financial compensation for your time/activities during your MSE cohort period.
For more information contact Ana Lopes Arechiga, ana@KeshetArts.org 505-224-9808.
2018 Makers Space Experience is made possible with support from The Mayor’s Prize for Entrepreneurship – the Honorable Mayor Richard J. Berry, the Albuquerque Community Foundation and the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
Makers Space Experience Master Class SCHEDULE
2018 Maker Space Experience Master Classes Schedule – TBD
Check back early December.
Ongoing Makers Space
Ongoing Makers Space
Dancer and choreographers may rent studio space to work on projects anytime – as space allows. LEARN MORE about Rent the Space