The Keshet Ideas and Innovation Center (KIIC) is New Mexico’s business resource center for arts entrepreneurs.
Housed at the new Keshet Center for the Arts, the Keshet Ideas and Innovation Center (KIIC) was created with support from the Federal Economic Development Administration to expand and enhance strong business foundations for the many dynamic artists and arts organizations in the State of New Mexico.
Keshet Ideas and Innovation Center (KIIC) supports and strengthens arts entrepreneurs on their path for sustainability by championing the value of the artist and the arts economy, by equipping creative industry businesses with the tools for success.
KIIC creates and shares networks of business resources, convenes industry expertise and provides mentorship to develop the full potential of the New Mexico arts entrepreneur to create jobs in the arts.
Most recently, Secretary Gonzales and the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs, commissioned a study, Building on the Past, Facing the Future: Renewing the Creative Economy, (http://www.newmexicoculture.org/index.php) which further quantifies the economic impact with the following figures;
The arts and cultural sector –
- contribute $5.6 billion to New Mexico’s economy each year;
- contribute $2.2 billion in wages and salaries annually; and
- generate $137 million in revenues for state and local governments.
KIIC works with arts entrepreneurs, including:
- individual artists;
- arts organizations;
- arts presenters and distributors;
- for-profit and not-for-profit entities;
- creators of theatre, dance, film, visual arts, music, media arts and more.
Potential KIIC participants can choose from three tracks depending on their needs and maturity.
- KIIC Members – have extensive discounts and access to ongoing arts business workshops, management training, technical assistance and business mentorship; Membership dues for the KIIC are $120 annually for an arts business or organization and $60 for an individual artist. KIIC Membership is available year-round. View or Download the 2015_KIIC MEMBERSHIP Registration_Renewal Application.
KIIC Membership Benefits include:
KIIC Classes, Workshops, Events
- KIIC Members receive FREE access to all classes, workshops and events within the KIIC Program.
- Individual Artist Members receive free admission for the single artist member registered
- Arts Business Members receive free admission for up to 5 people per company, per event
Mentorship and Resources
- One FREE hour of personalized, one-on-one business mentorship per membership year.
- Discounts for various community resources (consultants, workshops, etc)
- “Shadow” learning opportunities within existing arts businesses
- Access to supportive environment of arts entrepreneurs
Keshet Center for the Arts discounts (Advance scheduling/reservations required; subject to availability)
- Free use of conference room/meeting space at Keshet Center for the Arts for up to 12 hours per year
- 15%-60% discounts on rental rates (Rehearsal Studios, Black Box Theatre, Soundstage, etc)
- 25% off tickets to all Keshet Center for the Arts presented/produced events
- 50% off all Class Packages for any K-Lab movement or fitness classes
Application Opportunities…KIIC Members are also eligible to:
- Apply to become KIIC Tenants. Tenants receive all of the benefits of KIIC Membership, plus have an office at the Keshet Center for the Arts and receive the deepest rental rate discounts.
- Apply for the Keshet Fellowship. Two Fellows are selected annually in the field of contemporary dance. Fellows receive a financial award, rehearsal and production space for a new work, and arts business learning opportunities. To download a PDF of the Application and Requirements – click here
- Receive discounted closing costs and lower interest rates on loans through the New Mexico Community Development Loan Fund (www.loanfund.org/) through the KIIC/Loan Fund partnership for arts entrepreneurs in New Mexico!
Fractured Atlas Membership and Resources (www.fracturedatlas.org)
KIIC Members can choose to become members of Fractured Atlas through their affiliation with KIIC. As KIIC Members, your first year membership to Fractured Atlas is at no cost and future years are at 50% off.
Fractured Atlas Provides:
- Fiscal Sponsorship
- Artful.ly: Ticket Sales and Donation Tracking platform
- Fractured U: Additional Business Training Courses
2. KIIC Tenants – have an on-site office at the Keshet Center for the Arts, and receive all KIIC Arts Member benefits in addition to access to appropriate on-site office and development spaces to support their specific business needs, shared business services, equipment and other support services. For inquiries or to apply to be a KIIC Tenant, email email@example.com or 505.221.5168.
3. Non-member arts entrepreneurs – may also take advantage of any workshops, business consulting and rehearsal or performance space rental at market rate. For Rental of Keshet Center for the Arts rehearsal space, performance space, or lobby, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-224-9808.
You’ve spent years honing and practicing your art – now learn some of the business skills that could allow you to make a career of living your passion.
KIIC Arts Business Workshops:
Tuesday, May 17th; 1:30 – 3:00 pm – Creative Matching-Making: Choosing the Right Social Media
Day 1 of this two-day event will focus how to mix-and-match social media outlets based on your audience, skills, and type of business. In addition to this overview, we’ll also look at some examples of imaginative social media campaigns run by similar businesses. By the end of this workshop, you’ll have completed a draft, one-page social media marketing plan and have started your creative juices flowing.
Wednesday, May 18th; 1:30 – 3:00 pm – Using Niche Social Media & Other Online Marketing Tools to Ignite a Social Spark
Led by: Jan Zimmerman, Watermelon Mountain Web Marketing
Day 2 of this two-day event will let you put your new social media skills to work. We’ll start with a review of niche social media channels (for example, for painting, sculpture, photography, crafts, writing, dance, theater, music, or film) and an overview of other methods of online marketing. Then the group will break into teams to brainstorm imaginative solutions to a sample marketing problem that confronts creative entrepreneurs. You’ll walk away with valuable resource handouts and the vocabulary to turn marketing monotony into creative fun.
COST: FREE for KIIC Members/ $50 for non-members for BOTH DAYS ($25 Single Day) Click HERE to register!
KIIC Mentorship Mondays
KIIC is excited to bring you Mentorship Mondays starting February 1, 2016! Every Monday from 2:00-3:30pm, KIIC will have open office hours free for KIIC members & $25 for non-members. Bring any questions that are on your mind for one-on-one mentoring in a small group setting. For more information email Emily.Dunkin@KeshetArts.org
*What is an Open Forum? That means you email your questions to Emily Dunkin prior to the session and the mentor will be prepared to talk to you about your question.
“I came because I didn’t know anything about how to do this, but by the time I left I thought ‘Oh hell, I can do that!”
— Designer & Workshop Participant
“For an hour and half there was a lot of useful information packed in. It provided focus and some goals to better use social media for growing my business.”– Independent Artist & Workshop Participant
“I’ve sent out one press release and, thanks to the KIIC workshops on those little jewels, am totally delighted with the results!”
— Writer & Workshop Participant