The Keshet Ideas and Innovation Community (KIIC) is New Mexico’s business incubator and resource center for arts entrepreneurs.
Housed at the new Keshet Center for the Arts, the Keshet Ideas and Innovation Community (KIIC) was created with support from the Federal Economic Development Administration to expand and enhance strong business foundations for the many dynamic artists and arts organizations in the State of New Mexico.
Keshet Ideas and Innovation Community (KIIC) supports and strengthens arts entrepreneurs on their path for sustainability by championing the value of the artist and the arts economy, by equipping creative industry businesses with the tools for success.
KIIC creates and shares networks of business resources, convenes industry expertise and provides mentorship to develop the full potential of the New Mexico arts entrepreneur to create jobs in the arts.
Most recently, Secretary Gonzales and the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs, commissioned a study, Building on the Past, Facing the Future: Renewing the Creative Economy, (http://www.newmexicoculture.org/index.php) which further quantifies the economic impact with the following figures;
The arts and cultural sector –
- contribute $5.6 billion to New Mexico’s economy each year;
- contribute $2.2 billion in wages and salaries annually; and
- generate $137 million in revenues for state and local governments.
KIIC works with arts entrepreneurs, including:
- individual artists;
- arts organizations;
- arts presenters and distributors;
- for-profit and not-for-profit entities;
- creators of theatre, dance, film, visual arts, music, media arts and more.
Potential KIIC participants can choose from three tracks depending on their needs and maturity.
- KIIC Members – have extensive discounts and access to ongoing arts business workshops, management training, technical assistance and business mentorship; Membership dues for the KIIC are $120 annually for an arts business or organization and $60 for an individual artist. KIIC Membership is available year-round.
View or Download the 2017 KIIC Member Registration_Renewal IND;
2017 KIIC Member Registration_Renewal BIZ.ORG
2017 KIIC Membership Info
KIIC Membership Benefits include:
KIIC Classes, Workshops, Events
- KIIC Members receive FREE access to all classes, workshops and events within the KIIC Program.
- Individual Artist Members receive free admission for the single artist member registered
- Arts Business Members receive free admission for up to 5 people per company, per event
Mentorship and Resources
- One FREE hour of personalized, one-on-one business mentorship per membership year.
- Discounts for various community resources (consultants, workshops, etc)
- “Shadow” learning opportunities within existing arts businesses
- Access to supportive environment of arts entrepreneurs
Keshet Center for the Arts discounts (Advance scheduling/reservations required; subject to availability)
- Free use of conference room/meeting space at Keshet Center for the Arts for up to 12 hours per year
- 15%-60% discounts on rental rates (Rehearsal Studios, Black Box Theatre, Soundstage, etc)
- 25% off tickets to all Keshet Center for the Arts presented/produced events
- 50% off all Keshet Community Dance Class Packages
Application Opportunities…KIIC Members are also eligible to:
- Apply to become KIIC Tenants. Tenants receive all of the benefits of KIIC Membership, plus have an office at the Keshet Center for the Arts and receive the deepest rental rate discounts.
- Apply for the Keshet Fellowship. Two Fellows are selected annually in the field of contemporary dance. Fellows receive a financial award, rehearsal and production space for a new work, and arts business learning opportunities. To download a PDF of the Application and Requirements – To Download the 2017 Fellowship_Information&Application_ CLICK HERE
- Fractured Atlas Membership and Resources (www.fracturedatlas.org)
KIIC Members can choose to become members of Fractured Atlas through their affiliation with KIIC. As KIIC Members, your first year membership to Fractured Atlas is at no cost and future years are at 50% off.
Fractured Atlas Provides:
- Fiscal Sponsorship
- Artful.ly: Ticket Sales and Donation Tracking platform
- Fractured U: Additional Business Training Courses
2. KIIC Tenants – have an on-site office at the Keshet Center for the Arts, and receive all KIIC Arts Member benefits in addition to access to appropriate on-site office and development spaces to support their specific business needs, shared business services, equipment and other support services. For inquiries or to apply to be a KIIC Tenant, email kiic@KeshetArts.org or 505.221.5168.
3. Non-member arts entrepreneurs – may also take advantage of any workshops, business consulting and rehearsal or performance space rental at market rate. For Rental of Keshet Center for the Arts rehearsal space, performance space, or lobby, contact: Tim.Wilkins@KeshetArts.org or 505-224-9808.
You’ve spent years honing and practicing your art – now learn some of the business skills that could allow you to make a career of living your passion.
Call for Artists:
WHO: Singers, musicians, dancers, video artists, actors, comedians, poets, live visual artists, circus performers, magicians or any other artistic performers. We’re looking for any and all performance artists! and live visual artists are invited to apply for inclusion in the 2017 artSLAM season.
WHAT: Live performance in a fast-paced, engaging adult variety show
WHY: Keshet Ideas and Innovation Community (KIIC) endeavors to see artists and arts entrepreneurs grow and become sustainable, bringing excellence and economic stability to the arts economy here in New Mexico. www.Keshetarts.org/kiic All artists involved in artSLAM are paid a stipend. Artist Agreements are finalized upon acceptance into the curated season.
Keshet Center for the Arts is a creative community anchor that educates, entertains and engages; housing and uniting the arts, the artist and the audience.
Saturday, March 18 @ 8pm
Saturday, June 24 @ 8pm
Saturday, September 16 @ 8pm
Saturday, December 2 @ 8pm* “The Best of Show”
SUBMISSIONS: Send completed paperwork and work sample to Emily.Dunkin@KeshetArts.org
artSLAM-Artist Submission Form_call-for-artists – PDF DOWNLOAD
KIIC Arts Business Workshops: REGISTER HERE
- Thurs Feb 23 Panel/Salon:Desegregating the Arts and Sciences
Facilitated by Dr. Manuel Montoya
12:00-1:30pm Presented by the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs, FREE
LOCATION: Museum of Natural History
- Mon Feb. 27th Tax Talks: Artists Get Your Taxes Ready
By Patricia Lindsay, H&R BlockLearn what deductions you can and cannot claim as an artist; make sure you know what to do with that pile of 1099s and W-2s and what to report where!
10:30 – 11:30am; Free to KIIC members; $15 non-members
LOCATION: Keshet Center for the Arts
Wednesday 1 / 1:30am – 3:00pm
Employment Law Basics: Employees vs. Contractors
Employers, especially non-profit employers, frequently use the services of independent contractors. Whether a worker is classified as an employee or an independent contractor is heavily regulated under both state and federal law and the fines and penalties for misclassifying a worker are steep. In this interactive 90 minute session, attendees will learn the laws pertaining to classification of independent contractors and will come away with tools to help ensure that their organization’s independent contractor relationships are in compliance. Additionally, this session will cover anticipated changes to the independent contractor landscape under the new administration. Don’t miss it!
Led by: Alice Kilborn, Kilborn Consulting,LLC.
FREE for KIIC members / $25 for non-members.
Thursday 2 / 12:00-1:30pm
Panel/Salon: Measuring Social Impact for Creatives
Facilitated by Dr. Manuel Montoya
Presented by the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs, FREE
LOCATION: Museum of Natural History
Wednesday 8 / 10:30am – 2:30pm
Intro to Grant Proposal Research and Writing Basics
How to find available funds, determine if a funder is the right fit for you/your organization, and develop techniques to manage the steps required to work with funders. Once you have identified the funder, learn how to make your case, create a clear narrative with impact, develop a realistic budget and create a full proposal package.
Led by: Shira Greenberg, Keshet Founder & Artistic Director.
FREE for KIIC members / $50 for non-members.
KIIC Mentorship Mondays: 4th Monday of the Month
The 4th Monday of each month / 4:30 – 5:30pm
Mentorship Mondays allow arts entrepreneurs and KIIC members to learn from multiple mentors covering multiple topics – “speed-dating style”
Cost: FREE to KIIC Members; $15 for non-members
- Starts – March 27th
- April 24th
- May 22nd
- June 26th
Come for Mentorship – stay to Mix with other Members
The 4th Monday of each month / 5:30 – 6:30pm
Immediately following Mentorship Monday session, stay or stop-by for a brief Mixer. Network with other arts entrepreneurs and KIIC members; FREE to all
“I came because I didn’t know anything about how to do this, but by the time I left I thought ‘Oh hell, I can do that!”
— Designer & Workshop Participant
“For an hour and half there was a lot of useful information packed in. It provided focus and some goals to better use social media for growing my business.”– Independent Artist & Workshop Participant
“I’ve sent out one press release and, thanks to the KIIC workshops on those little jewels, am totally delighted with the results!”
— Writer & Workshop Participant